Friday, December 2, 2022

Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey (1517-1547)

 

"Alas, so all things now do hold their peace!"

Alas, so all things now do hold their peace!

   Heaven and earth disturbèd in no thing;

The beasts, the air, the birds their song do cease,

   The nightès car the stars about doth bring;

Calm is the sea; the waves work less and less:

   So am not I, whom love, alas! doth wring,

Bringing before my face the great increase

   Of my desires, whereat I weep and sing,

In joy and woe, as in a doubtful case.

   For my sweet thoughts sometime do pleasure bring:

But by and by, the cause of my disease

   Gives me a pang that inwardly doth sting,

When that I think what grief it is again

To live and lack the thing should rid my pain.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

w. H. Auden

  Lullaby Lay your sleeping head, my love, Human on my faithless arm; Time and fevers burn away Individual beauty from Thoughtful children, ...