Monday, November 14, 2022

Sir Thomas Wyatt (1503-1542)

 


Patience, Though I Have Not

Patience, though I have not 

   The thing that I require, 

I must of force, God wot, 

   Forbear my most desire; 

For no ways can I find   

To sail against the wind. 

Patience, do what they will 

   To work me woe or spite, 

I shall content me still 

   To think both day and night, 

To think and hold my peace, 

Since there is no redress. 

Patience, withouten blame, 

   For I offended nought; 

I know they know the same, 

   Though they have changed their thought. 

Was ever thought so moved 

To hate that it hath loved? 

Patience of all my harm, 

   For fortune is my foe; 

Patience must be the charm 

   To heal me of my woe: 

Patience without offence 

Is a painful patience.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

w. H. Auden

  Lullaby Lay your sleeping head, my love, Human on my faithless arm; Time and fevers burn away Individual beauty from Thoughtful children, ...