Saturday, August 13, 2022

Sir Thomas Wyatt (1503-1542)

 


Stock Photo: Poem of Sir Thomas Wyatt, Whole folio Autograph copy of poem which finds a neat conceit for the irrepressible course of love.











Remembrance

They flee from me, that sometime did me seek 
    With naked foot, stalking in my chamber. 
I have seen them gentle, tame, and meek, 
    That now are wild, and do not remember 
    That sometime they put themselves in danger 
         To take bread at my hand; and now they range 
         Busily seeking with a continual change. 

Thanked be fortune it hath been otherwise 
    Twenty times better; but once, in special, 
In thin array, after a pleasant guise, 
    When her loose gown from her shoulders did fall, 
    And she me caught in her arms long and small; 
         Therewith all sweetly did me kiss, 
         And softly said,Dear heart, how like you this?’ 

It was no dream: I lay broad waking: 
    But all is turned, thorough my gentleness, 
Into a strange fashion of forsaking; 
    And I have leave to go of her goodness, 
    And she also to use newfangleness. 
         But since that I so kindly am served, 
         I would fain know what she hath deserved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

w. H. Auden

  Lullaby Lay your sleeping head, my love, Human on my faithless arm; Time and fevers burn away Individual beauty from Thoughtful children, ...